NUS Baba House
NUS BABA HOUSE
Built around 1895, 157 Neil Road is a townhouse located in Singapore’s historic district of Tanjong Pagar. Once the ancestral home of a Straits Chinese (Peranakan Chinese) family, the property was acquired by the National University of Singapore (NUS) in 2006 from funds donated by Ms Agnes Tan who made the donation in memory of her father, the late business and community leader Tun Tan Cheng Lock.
Following extensive restoration works, the premises officially opened on 4 September 2008 and was named ‘Baba House’. It is a heritage house curated to display the early 20th century domestic life and culture of the Peranakan Chinese. As a part of NUS, it is also a facility which supports research in cultural encounters and hybridity, urban and social history and architectural conservation.
Conceived as a heritage house which facilitates research into architectural conservation, urban and social history and cultural hybridity.
Find our more at https://babahouse.nus.edu.sg/